Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
NEW - The 2020 Secretary General's Annual Report
NATO PUBLICATIONS & OFFICIAL TEXTS
NATO A-Z (Topic pages)
- All about NATO in the form of a thematic index.
- A compilation of archived online topic pages which explain every aspect of the Organization: its origin and fundamental security tasks, policies and decision-making processes, peace-support and crisis-management operations and how the Alliance tackles threats and develops capabilities. The pages also cover NATO’s partnerships and cooperative activities, its civilian and military structures, and specialised organisations and agencies, as well as NATO’s wider activities.
- A selection of NATO electronic publications. They are available in electronic format only but can be downloaded and printed.
- Chronological sets of documents issued by the International Staff and the NATO Military Authorities between 1949 and 1982.
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
NATO Archives Online
- Provides users with the opportunity to explore the first 10 years of the Alliance’s history through the Committee documents of the North Atlantic Council and its sub-committees.
NATO Standardization Agreements
- STANAGS, AACP, AAP, AASTP, AECTP, AEDP, AJP, AOP, AQAP, ARMP, ATP, AdatP
- E-mail: email@example.com or send a written request addressed to NATO Standardization Office, NATO HQ, 1110 Brussels, Belgium
- New official NATO Terminology Database coordinated by the NATO Terminology Office (NTO).
- NATOTerm contains non-classified military terminology, as well as non-military terminology relevant to NATO.
NATO Official Texts
- Official texts of the Alliance, from the Treaty and its protocols to the Partnership for Peace documents, as well as the complete texts of all NATO Ministerial Communiqués since 1949.
NATO Basic Texts
- A thematic overview of NATO's most important official texts : from the Treaty and its protocols to the Partnership for Peace
Other NATO Official Documents
Allied Command Transformation (ACT)
Concept Development and Experimentation (CD&E) is a fundamental process which enables transformation activities. This CD&E Handbook provides basic information for the concept developer based on approved NATO guidance and policy as well as best practice derived from a rich history of CD&E experience. Although designed to address Alliance CD&E activities it has been developed with a vision of informing NATO nations, our partners and other nations and organizations. Accordingly, significant effort has been taken to ensure applicability of the methodology across the broadest user community.
- Civil-Military Cooperation Centre of Excellence (CCOE)
- The main purpose of this handbook is to provide a tactical reference, and an operational command level insight, for all personnel involved in Civil-Military Cooperation (CIMIC) and Civil-Military Interaction (CMI) activities, across the full mission spectrum. The secondary purpose is to create awareness for those organizations and individuals who have a vested interest in CIMIC/CMI activities.
- The NATO Advanced Distributed Learning Handbook is published and maintained by the NATO Training Group (NTG) Individual Training and Educational Developments (IT&ED) task group. It provides guidelines for the development, implementation and evaluation of technology enhanced learning.
NATO Handbook (2006)
- The NATO Handbook was published by the NATO’s Public Diplomacy Division under the authority of the Secretary General as a reference book on the Alliance and on Alliance policies.
- It is no longer updated and is shown here for historical purposes only. For an updated content, please refer to the NATO Encyclopedia.
- This handbook, published by the Joint Analysis & Lessons Learned Centre (3rd ed.) uses NATO's approach to Lessons Learned as the underlying model but has been written to be relevant to any organization.
- The purpose of this handbook is to guide and assist you in fulfilling your role in supporting their organization and NATO to effectively learn from experience.
- The NATO Logistics Handbook is published under the auspices of the Logistics Committee (LC) and aims to introduce logisticians at every level to some of NATO’s basic principles, policies, concepts and the organisations which they will encounter in the course of their work.
NATO Operations Assessment Handbook (July 2015)
- This handbook defines and describes operations assessment principles, procedures and techniques in NATO, within the construct of operations planning, and should be used in conjunction with the Comprehensive Operations Planning Directive (COPD).
NATO ANNUAL REPORTS
Secretary General's Annual Report
Annual Report to Council by the Resource Policy and Planning Board (RPPB)
The RPPB is a subsidiary body of the North Atlantic Council and has a lead policy and planning role in all NATO military common funded resource areas. The Annual Report analyses how NATO’s common-funded resources support approved Alliance objectives and priorities; assesses the performance of military common funding; and reviews the financial situation of the NATO Security Investment Programme and the Civil and Military Budgets.
The NATO Science for Peace and Security (SPS) Programme
The Science for Peace and Security (SPS) Programme is one of NATO’s most important partnership tools, providing support to NATO’s political framework by developing and implementing joint collaborative activities with all partner countries. The Annual Report presents you with a detailed overview of the work and main achievements of the SPS Programme.
Summary of the National Reports of NATO Member and Partner Nations to the NATO Committee on Gender Perspectives (NCGP) on the implementation of the United Nations Security Council Resolution (UNSCR) 1325 on Women, Peace and Security
NATO's comparative study on the integration of gender perspectives in the armed forces.
Gender Perspectives in the Armed Forces - National Reports from 2008 to 2014
PUBLICATIONS OF OTHER NATO ENTITIES
- By Headquarters Allied Rapid Reaction Corps (HQ ARRC - UK)
C-IED COE Newsletter
- This publication is a product of the NATO Counter Improvised Explosive Devices Centre of Excellence (COE C-IED - Spain)
CMRE Open Library
- CMRE Open Library is the digital repository of open access full text publications of the NATO STO Centre for Maritime Research and Experimentaiton (CMRE - Italy). Its main contents are technical reports, conference papers, and journal articles authored by the Centre scientists and engineers since its foundation in 1959.
- By the NATO Communications and Information Agency (NCIA).
- Established in 2016, NCI Agency's Communicator Magazine covers cyber trends, the Agency's latest achievements, forecasts of the future, and milestones of the past.
Defence Against Terrorism Review
- By The Centre of Excellence Defence Against Terrorism (COE-DAT - Turkey)
Defence Strategic Communications
- This Academic Journal is a bi-annual, open access, peer-reviewed and refereed journal published by the NATO Strategic Communications Centre of Excellence (NATO STRATCOM-COE - Latvia).
Innovation in Capability Development Publication Series
- By NATO HQ Supreme Allied Commander Transformation (NATO SACT - USA)
JALLC NATO Lessons Learned Portal (NLLP)
- By NATO Joint Analysis & Lessons Learned Centre (JALLC - Portugal)
- This portal is the single storing, tracking and sharing tool for the NATO Lessons Learned related information. The NLLP has various functionalities including : facilitating and announcing events; sharing information within the Lessons Learned (LL) Community; acting as a sharing platform for all kind of LL related documents.
- By NATO Joint Analysis & Lessons Learned Centre (JALLC - Portugal)
- Including the "NATO Lessons Learned Handbook", the "Joint Analysis Handbook", the "JALLC Explorer" Magazine.
- By NATO´s Joint Air Power Competence Centre (JAPCC - Germany)
Land Power Magazine
- By NATO Allied Land Command. A bi-annual printed publication of NATO ALC (LANDCOM - Turkey).
NATO Communications and Information Agency (NCIA) Publications
- NCI Agency delivers secure, coherent, cost effective and interoperable communications and information systems and services. The NCI Agency list of Publications reflects the Agency’s mission, as well as involvement in various projects.
- NDC Policy Briefs, NDC Research Papers, Russian Studies and Books (NDC - Italy)
NATO Defense College - Vox Collegii Magazine
- Half-yearly publication from the NATO Defense College (NDC - Italy)
The NATO Legal Gazette
- The NATO Legal Gazette is an educational outreach publication produced by the HQ SACT Legal Offices in Norfolk and Staff Element Europe co-located at SHAPE in Mons, Belgium.
- The NATO Legal Gazette is not a formal NATO document. Its articles do not represent the official opinions or positions of NATO or individual governments.
- By by NATO Allied Command Transformation’s Operational Experimentation Branch.
- By the NATO Rapid Deployable Corps Italy.
- By NATO Headquarters, Public Diplomacy Division. NATO Review online magazine looks at key security issues through the eyes of the experts. (NHQ - Belgium)
NATO's Science for Peace and Security Publications
- Available to NATO staff at NATO HQ and at some other NATO stations.
- The concept itself of military forces performing police duties to cover the “security gap” has evolved up to the current concept of Stability Policing (SP). The CoE's website offers direct links to NATO Stability Policy Frameworks and other documents related to this field.
NATO StratCom CoE Publications
- The NATO StratCom CoE, based in Riga, Latvia, contributes to improved strategic communications capabilities within the Alliance and Allied nations.
NMIOTC - NATO Maritime Interdiction Operational Training Centre - Hellas
- The NMIOTC MIO Journal is a professional publication aiming to serve as a forum for the presentation and stimulation of innovative thinking on NATO Maritime Interdiction related issues such as doctrine, concepts, force structure, employment and readiness.
- By NATO Allied Joint Force Command (JFCB - the Netherlands).
PfPC Policy Briefs / Background Papers
- By the PfP-C (Partnership for Peace Consortium ) Emerging Security Challenges Working Group [NPfP-C is not a NATO entity but NATO is one of its stakeholders].
- The Emerging Security Challenges Working Group is co-chaired by the NATO Emerging Security Challenges Division and the Geneva Centre for Security Policy (GCSP).
- By NATO Science & Technology Organization
The Three Swords
- By NATO Joint Warfare Centre (JWC - Norway)
- "The Three Swords" is the JWC's authorized magazine published three times a year by the Public Affairs Office.
OTHER NATO-SPECIFIC PUBLICATIONS
Glossary of Human Resource Management in the Public Sector (April 2021)
- The NATO Building Integrity (BI) toolkit has a new effective learning tool – ''Glossary of Human Resource Management in the Public Sector''. Developed by the Norwegian Centre for Integrity in the Defence Sector (CIDS), this new, quick and reliable reference material is designed for civil servants and public sector managers as well as individuals from civil society organisations and media.
Science & Technology Trends 2020-240 : Exploring the S&T Edge (March 2020)
- Published by NATO Science & Technology Organization
- Looks at defence technology trends over the next 20 years and their impact on our collective security. The report targets leaders and opinion-makers in the defence and security sector, as well as experts seeking insights into specific technologies.
Stability Policing : A Tool to Project Stability (November 2017)
- Published by NATO Supreme Allied Commander Transformation, this volume is designed to provide perspective, promote thoughts and present opportunities to facilitate transparent debate and development of an operational Stability Policing capability for the Alliance.
Strategic Foresight Analysis (SFA) 2017 Report (November 2017)
- Published by NATO Allied Command Transformation, the Strategic Foresight Analysis (SFA) 2017 Report builds upon the SFA 2013 and 2015 Update Reports and provides a wide-ranging shared understanding of the future security environment.
- The SFA describes the future NATO expects to unfold to 2035 and beyond, depicted as political, social, technological, economic, and environmental trends. Where trends may move in diverging directions, an alternative view is provided to maintain utmost objectivity.
- It is based on a review of many national, think tank, international organisations and industry future studies. Sources also comprised studies from non-NATO countries, including China and India, and South Asian partners such as Australia.
NATO Governance and Delivery of Commonly Funded Capabilities: Improving Support to NATO Commanders (April 2017)
- A Report Produced by an independent Group of Senior Experts (18 April 2017). The Group of Senior Experts (GSE) was appointed by the Secretary General on 20 October 2016 to provide independent advice and recommendations, in response to two recent performance audit reports by the International Board of Auditors for NATO (IBAN), which highlighted the need for improved governance arrangements.
NATO Brand Guide (March 2017)
- A practical guide to working with the NATO brand.
NATO ACO/ACT Digital Media Management Guide [s.d. - c. 2017]
- The goal of the introductory Digital Media Management Guide is to help our community accomplish this intent by streamlining, standardising and synchronising digital media management.
Cybersecurity: A Generic Reference Curriculum (October 2016)
- In an effort to satisfy specific partner education and training needs, the Partnership for Peace Consortium (PfPC) Emerging Security Challenges Working Group (ESCWG) has developed a Cybersecurity Reference Curriculum.
- This document is the result of the work of a multinational team of volunteer academics and researchers drawn from 17 nations associated with the Partnership for Peace Consortium (PfPC) Emerging Security Challenges Working Group (ESCWG). The aim was to produce a flexible and generally comprehensive approach to the issue of cybersecurity.
Building Integrity : Self-Assessment Questionnaire and Peer Review Process (Feb. 2015)
- The Building Integrity Self-Assessment Questionnaire (SAQ) is a key component of the practical tools developed in the framework of the Building Integrity (BI) Programme.
- Introduced in 2008, the BI SAQ was designed as an analytical tool for use by nations.
- This booklet contains the agreed language from MC 0457/2, approved in December 2010 by the 28 Chiefs of Defence that make up NATO’s Military Committee, and endorsed by the North Atlantic Council in February 2011.
- Lord Ismay, Secretary General and Vice-President of the North Atlantic Council announced in October 1953 his attention to "describe the work of NATO in every field since the foundation of the Atlantic Alliance. Such a five-years' survey of NATO would place in proper perspective the progress achieved since 1949…"