This LibGuide is intended to provide a few starting points to assist you with your research on issues related to missile defence, in particular in the NATO context.
Good places to start your research include :
- the NATO Missile defence Topic page
- NATO Ballistic Missile Defence (Photos)
- NATO Communications and Information Agency's Ballistic Missile Defence Programme page
- The future of Missile Defence: A NATO perspective [Speech by NATO Deputy Secretary General Ambassador Alexander Vershbow at the INSS Missile Defence conference in Israel - 15 January 2014] NATO News, 15 January 2014
- NATO and Missile Defence [Speech by NATO Deputy Secretary General Ambassador Alexander Vershbow at the 2013 RUSI Missile Defence Conference, London – 12 June 2013] NATO News, 12 June 2013
- the NATO news stories on missile defence. Also, on 27 January 2011, NATO’s first ever theatre ballistic missile defence (TBMD) capability has been handed over to NATO’s military command
- The NATO Review paper : "How Putin uses missile defence in Europe to distract Russian voters" (5 February 2015)
- the article, The case for rethinking NATO missile defense plans (November 2013) that appeared in The Bulletin of Atomic Scientists
- an article by the Secretary General, Missile Defense is not a Problem but the Greatest Opportunity (2012)
- on 23 November 2011, the Secretary General made a statement on missile defence.
- the 17 November 2011 NATO news story announced the first live-fire test of the NATO Active Layered Theatre Ballistic Missile Defence Interim Capability (ALTBMD): NATO’s Missile Defence – the first live-fire test
- on 5 October 2011, an Announcement on missile defence cooperation was made by NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen, the Prime Minister of Spain, Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero and US Defense Secretary Leon Panetta
- An article offering a good overview about the Alliance's project of a missile defence system, published by the Center for Security Studies in Zürich in December 2010
- A very detailed paper published on 30 December 2014 by Geoffrey F. Weiss: Seeing 2020: America's New Vision for Integrated Air and Missile Defense (NDU Press).
- We also invite you to read what Robert Bell (Secretary of Defense Representative, Europe and Defense Advisor to the U.S. Mission to NATO) said in a conference The Why, What, and How of Missile Defense at NATO on 17 March 2011 in Brussels:
"Today, I'd like to cover a few areas where I think missile defense and NATO intersect:
- First, the threat environment: Why missile defense is so important. And why our Allies agree that NATO needs missile defense.
- Second, the momentous decisions taken at NATO's Lisbon Summit. And, more specifically, what President Obama and 27 other NATO Leaders agreed there.
- And third, how we are moving forward with missile defense at NATO, and with Russia."
In addition to sources found on the internet (e.g. websites, news & blogs, reports, etc.), a select number of articles and books available from the NATO Multimedia Library have been included in this guide. These sources of information are by no means a comprehensive collection. The selection criteria was based on the sources' currency and relevancy to this topic.
Furthermore, quick search boxes for online databases subscribed by the Library (available to staff working at NATO HQ) as well as links to the library catalog are available for you to locate additional resources.